Thursday, March 12, 2009

Food for thought

Adrain told me he loves to drink lactose free milk, but because it is expensive he has to refrain himself from drinking at his heart content.True, in our lives, there are many things we have to "give up" sometimes in order to strike a balance, and it is not easy.But look at it positively, too much milk will make one fat and that is unhealthy.So, it is not just money matter, rather it is for practical reason.Likewise, even rich peoples have to discipline themselves from indulging in food that they crave, otherwise they can harm themselves by over eating though they can afford it.God is fair, after all.We can only eat our fair share if we want to live healthily.
This morning, while I was doing my marketing in Central market, I met my friends.They were grumbling they did not know what to buy and cook for their families.I don't doubt their words because I have the same problem too,running out of ideas .Many housewives will surely face this problem as we are the "only cook of the house.".Most of the time when I ran out of ideas and asked my love ones for their suggestions, they would surely gave me the same answer," anything".I was annoyed by their indifference , but after much thoughts,I told my self,if I have full authority to cook whatever I want, why not enjoy it? Since then, whatever I cook, they will eat and hopefully,enjoy.(No complaint, so far.)
My children miss my cooking when they are away from home.Perhaps they are used to my styles thus why they prefer mum's cooking.My cooking skill is simple, I only know how to prepare typical home meals.But the secret is that when I cook,I do add in a pinch of love,a pinch of thoughts, and a pinch of sincerity,and pray that all of them can eat well , enjoy themselves and stay healthy.Try my recipe, it will make a lot of difference.
Foochow peoples, especially Sibu Foochow like to eat Kam pua mee.Peoples here can eat Kam pua for breakfast, kam pua for lunch, kam pua for dinner, and kam pua for super.Even if they go to other places, they have the tendency to order kam pua if they are indecisive of their choices.Luckily, I do not like it, or any other type of noodles.Otherwise, I will be rounder than now.I always opt for Kuih, as I grew up in Mukah, and I pick up more Hokkien peoples eating habits.Hokkiens like to drink coffee , so am I.I used to drink 7 or 8 mugs of coffee a day, and that was really excessive.When I realized that I was addicted to coffee, I quit the habit, now I drink occasionally, not even once a day.The best choice is still, plain water, or " sky juice."
My 3 sons are not very fussy over food, but they sure like to eat good food!Whenever we went traveling, their father would be interested in two things, that is, taking photographs and secondly, searching for nice foods.We went to China last year, and were disappointed with the food there. Not a single dish impressed us. The best food is China sweet potatoes roasted in hot charcoal.When we were at Cheng De, it was below 13 degree, snowing actually.The hot sweet potatoes tasted heavenly and unbelievably welcoming.Every one wished to hold it because it was so comforting, our fingers were numb from freezing cold.
Thailand is a country that has a lot to offer. Besides sight seeing and entertainments,they have many varieties of food to choose,most of them are delicious, exotic ,different and definitely worth trying.Prices are reasonable too.I love almost all the Thai dishes.The tom yam soup is hot and sour and spicy and simply exciting!Don't mind going again,if I can afford it.

6 comments:

  1. An enjoyable read. Brings back good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your compliment.May be we can think of going somewhere in july?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I don't mind, in fact I think that's a great idea! I wouldn't like to go anywhere too far away though..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Somewhere affordable has to be near.haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mum, I think you should learn how to upload pictures to your blog, pictures speak a thousand words?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will do that.Dad has scanned most of the photos already.Have to find time to do it.Perhaps dad can give me a hand too.

    ReplyDelete